Part II of Chicken for every day of the week
See more quick and easy, yet no chance of boring chicken recipes here
Could you use more quick week night meals? Maybe? Well, this one is just as quick as you need at the end of a long day, yet it’s tantalizing flavor will tempt even picky eaters. It takes all of 15 minutes to make, if you got all your duckies lined up 😉 So chop and mix everything before you start and you’re ready to rock the kitchen!
Pounding the chicken until it is an even 1/4″ thickness ensures quick and even cooking, saving time and energy. Using a spice mix to rub or sprinkle on the chicken let’s you build flavor without having to add a lot of salt or spend hours roasting and basting. And using white wine, well, ask the French on that one, it works. The alcohol evaporates before this dish ever gets on your plate, but you could definitely use broth or water instead.
Did I tell you about my new magnificent skillet??? It’s got a slick white ceramic coating, I think I am in love 🙂
The spice mix makes more than what you need for this recipe you can use it on chicken, salmon and it’s awesome on pork chops too.
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast half
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 dash ground pepper (white or black)
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch cilantro
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/4 tsp lemon peel
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced ( I used Shiitake and Maitake, but any mix of mushrooms would work)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- In a small bowl, mix cumin through cilantro, set aside
- Pound the chicken breast flat in between two layers of cling wrap, using a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy pot. (Don’t do this after 10, or your neighbors might not like you anymore)
- Remove top layer of cling wrap, sprinkle the top of the chicken with the spice mixture
- In a skillet, heat a teaspoon oil over medium high, add the chicken, seasoned side down, removing the other layer of wrap from the top, then season that side as well. Cook 3 minutes or until slightly browned on the bottom.
- Flip chicken over, add the garlic to the pan (next to the chicken) and cook for about a minute until starting to look golden, then add the lemon peel, mushrooms, bell pepper and thyme.
- Cook for 2 minutes, so some of the juices release, then add the wine, cover the pan and give it another 2 minutes, uncover and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Et voilà! Yummy dinner!
Copyright © 2012 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved