Seed or nut based crackers are yummy I daresay even addictive. But the price for a girl on a tight budget, is rather prohibitive… 🙁 So after tinkering in my kitchen (batch one and two shown here) batch 3 was the winner, hands down.
batch one & two
You can make them square or round, depending on your preference. Square is a bit less work, but takes a little longer to get to that perfect crunchy state. For either one, flatten or roll out on the prepared cookie sheet (preferably lined with a silicon baking mat, that’s how I made them, if you don’t have one of those, at least use baking parchment) by covering with wax paper and rolling out, then peeling the paper layer gingerly from the top.
the only downside? You could always eat more than there are left…
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 3 tbsp sun flower seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds (flax meal)
- 1/4 cup ground almonds, natural not blanched
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds, whole (golden or brown)
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Prepare baking sheet (if you are making these round, it will make two cookie sheets) by lining it with a silicone baking mat
- In a blender or a mini food processor, combine the cashew and 1 tbsp sun flower seeds, blend until it forms a coarse meal
- Add ground almonds, flax meal, and quinoa flakes and pulse until combined
- Add the water and salt, blend until well mixed
- If you have enough space in your mini processor, add the remaining ingredients and pulse 2-3 times, until mixed but not chopped.
- Round: drop onto prepared cookie sheet, 1 level teaspoon at a time, distancing about 1 12/” to 2″ apart, cover with waxpaper and roll out until less than 1/8″ thick, basically as thin as you can get it.
- Square: Scrape or drop dough onto cookie sheet, spread out, then cover with wax paper, and roll out super thin, (less than 1/8″ thick)
- Bake 30 minutes in the middle of the preheated oven, or until no longer soft and pliable. then finish baking another 5 minutes on the bottom rack
- Let cool before crunching away!
Copyright © 2012 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved