Ahhhh summer! 🙂 The weather has been crazy! From 95 to 69 in two hours due to thunderstorms, then back up to hot the next day, after the early morning temps were in the low 50’s… So with the official start of pool season (Memorial Day) the grill has moved back to center stage for many, and we can never have enough ideas for sides to eat with all the great things that will be grilled up. And with the warm weather being here to stay, there won’t be much winter crop celery root available soon. So here, to ring in the changing season with one more glorious celeriac recipe, I made a salad, a slaw really, adding summery pineapple to make it more special. Even though this is a ‘slaw’, it is light and healthy, no heavy mayonnaise or heavy cream, but flavorful and perfect for that next summer picnic!
I have made a dressing with sour cream for this one, but use any creamy dressing you like. (Have also tried it with buttermilk)
- 1 medium celeriac (celery root)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs (such as parsley, chives, thyme)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Clean and peel celeriac, then grate on the coarse side of a grater or use your food processor. Drizzle with lemon juice, toss add the pineapple and set aside.
- To make the dressing, mix the herbs, mustard, salt and pepper with the vinegar, then stir in the sour cream.
- Add the dressing to the celeriac, stir until well combined. Toss something on the grill to go along with it or make a yummy salad platter like I did here.
Copyright © 2012 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved