I was searching for Pumpkin Puree (the one that conveniently comes in cans) ALL OVER town, after seeing this lovely Pumpkin Spice Smoothie — Healthful Pursuit recipe from Leanne and the Pumpkin Spice Latte over on Averie’s blog…
After three (3!!!) grocery stores without pumpkin, a store manager telling me they were out since last December, still due to
a shortage last year every one making those delicious looking lattes and smoothies, I suspect 😉
Craving the sweet, orange fall flavors, I started with the sweet potato I had on hand and went from there. At first I thought, maybe I will just adapt the smoothie or latte and use the sweet potato instead (I argued it might work, it’s sweet, orange and creamy when cooked, add the right spices, they make sweet potato pie filling…) At 9 pm after being up since 4 that morning, that seems like a great idea, trust me. And maybe it would have been…
I have to admit though, courage left me after cooking the sweet potato and here’s what I have come up with instead:
Sweet Potato Apricot No Bake Macaroons. I really wanted to call them: Sweet Potato Coconut Apricot Banana Almond Balls, but that would have been a bit ridiculoso!
No, sorry no drink recipe (yet)
They are kind of like those Energy Chunks at the Health Food store, but more tender, fresher, sugar free and softer in texture, enjoy!
No cooking/baking involved, except for the sweet potato:
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, cooked, mashed
- 1 really ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup almond flour/meal
- 1/2 cup coconut shredded fine
- 1-2 tblsp chopped dried apricot
- (optional) 1 tblsp maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1 tblsp chia seed
- more coconut and almond flour for coating
- cook, let cool a bit and peel sweet potato, chop roughly
- add very ripe banana, chia seed, sweet potato (and sweetener if using) to food processor (can be done by hand as well) pulse to combine
- combine chopped apricots, almonds and coconut with the food processor contends, mix until incorporated
- form 1 1/2″ dia balls, using a spoon to measure it out, roll between your palms, then roll in a mixture of more coconut and ground almonds
- Refrigerate and enjoy!
Copyright © 2011 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved.