Make something different this Thanksgiving!
- 2 Pie crusts (either home made or store bought)
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, grated (using the coarse side of a grater)
- 2 cups chopped onions (from 2 med cooking onions or 1 lg sweet onion)
- 3/4 lb (about 1 md) sweet potato, grated using the coarse side of your grater
- 1/4 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten, plus 1 egg for glaze (total 4)
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In a large skillet, heat 2 table spoons oil over medium, add the chopped onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the grated sweet potato, cook stirring to mix contents for an additional 5 minutes, to soften the sweet potatoes slightly. Remove from heat, let cool slightly
- In a bowl, combine the grated cheese, 3 eggs, milk and spices, stirring with a fork to combine.
- Combine the cooled sweet potato mixture with the cheese, eggs and milk mix, using a fork to stir until mixed evenly.
- Place crust in a deep 9″ pie pan, fill with sweet potato cheddar mix. Beat remaining egg, brush edges with egg wash, then place second pie crust on top, crimp edges to seal, cut 6-8 steam vents into the top crust and brush with remaining egg wash.
- Bake at 425 for 40 min or until the top is golden brown and filling is set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a large green salad or as part of your Thanksgiving dinner.
Copyright © 2011 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved