Last Tuesday it snowed and today it’s 65F! Crazy weather for a 4th of December. If I were back home, I’d be making ‘Grättimännli’ tomorrow, so they are ready for December 6th, and it was a firm plan, but how could I follow through when it is SUMMER outside? So instead I am going to mix things up and post a take along salad recipe. Most folks don’t eat badly because they want to, but because they fail to plan. With this series of recipes I am hoping to help you battle the lunchtime rush and have some healthy options on hand. I was going to start with a winter salad, something that can be warmed up, since I am not a huge salad eater in the winter, but seeing that it is summer today…
You need a two or four cup glass mason jar per serving. The jars seal well, are BPA free, re-usable forever and stack the salad items so the dressing stays away from the more delicate items until you’re ready to eat. For this one I suggest extra greens, beyond what fits the 2 cup jar. So either pack them in a little bag or go for the bigger jar (added weight). Take a fork along, shake it up and eat right out of the jar (bigger jar only), or bring a bowl and you have a fantastic lunch everyone will be eyeing.
Dressing (makes enough for 3 servings)
- 1 tbsp garlic (about 1 clove), minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp dark sweet soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (this is the oriental kind, it’s dark)
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2-3 tbsp Thai fish sauce ( I prefer tiparos brand)
- This will make enough for 2-3 servings
Per Jar you will need:
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced grilled steak
- 1/2 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp julienned carrot
- 2 packed cups of greens (spring mix, romaine or anything hardy works well)
- some sliced chillies and crushed peanuts as topping (optional)
Make Dressing: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well combined. Store any leftover dressing in the fridge and use within a week.
Then make the jars:
- Into each jar layer the ingredients in the following order: the steak, then pour 4-5 tsp of dressing over top, follow with tomato wedges, carrot, and greens.
- Top with some chilies if you like to spice up your life and crushed peanuts if desired. Close the lid and store in the fridge until ready to go!
Note: The dressing makes enough for 2-3 servings, so why not make dinner, and a jar for tomorrow? Or have a side salad with dinner and make 2 jars for y’all to take to work.
© 2012 SimpleHealthyHomemade