Schockolade Kugeln – Chocolate Balls – Swiss Christmas Cookies
You’re not surprised that a lot of Swiss cookies involve chocolate, are you?
This is another no butter recipe. It has an intense chocolate flavor and no added fat (only fat in here is from the almonds, eggs and cocoa powder). And as an added bonus, it just so happens that it is gluten-free, tadaa!
At first I was going to translate the name of these into bullets, as in ‘death by chocolate (bullet)’ but was musing on the whole Christmas and Peace on Earth concept and thought that would seem kinda wrong, but nevertheless they are intensely chocolatey!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups cocoa powder (I used a mix of extra dark and dutch processed)
- 3 3/4 cups ground almonds (sometimes called almond flour)
- 2-3 tbsp tapioca or potato starch
- In a big bowl, mix eggs sugar and cocoa until liquid and frothy looking
- Add the almonds and the starch and mix until, uniformly incorporated
- Chill dough for a few hours (if it’s cold enough where you are, put it on the balcony like we did in Switzerland, if not the fridge works well too)
- Form into walnut sized balls between your hands, (being careful to keep your hands cool), and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Let the formed balls dry overnight, or to speed up the process, you could also place the whole cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 480°F for 3 to 5 minutes. The balls should only crack slightly
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Check out the post on more Swiss Christmas Cookies to try other varieties!
Copyright © 2011 Simple Healthy Homemade. All rights reserved